Friday, September 09, 2005

In follow up to my buddy's post, the next five songs are not my favorite songs now, they are not necessarily even songs I like much now, but they are the most influencial song in my taste in and love of music (in chronological order):

California Dreaming The Mamas and the Papas - this was the first song I ever learned the words to. I remember sitting on my porch trying to figure out what it meant and, more important to me at the time, what the words actually were. I went through a period of denial that I grew up belting out folk songs in the backseat of a station wagon on family trips. I'm a bit more comfortable with that now. And, when I listen to this song now, I realize how good it is. While the band uses the sacrine harmonies of a lot a folk bands of the era, there's a sadness and desperation in it that's great.

Kokamo Beach Boys - I "performed" this song at my birthday party as a kid on the back porch. I split lead singing duties with my buddies Peter and Brian (the self-proclaimed three amigos of grade school). Lighting was provided with flashlights by a young Mr. Mosher and Rich. Man, this is a terrible song. Now I actually have some appreciation for the Beach Boys via Pet Sounds which has only made me dislike this song more. On the other hand, I can't help but smile when I hear it.

What Would You Say Dave Matthews Band - this marked the first time I listened to something and wanted to buy the album. I was a freshman in highschool and went out and bought this and Petty's Wildflowers along with some serious crap (TLC, Shaq, need I say more). Anyway, it brought me into the music consumer league.

Award Tour A Tribe Called Qwest - wow. Still just an amazing song. This song and the entire album surrounding are the basis for my love of hip hop. If my friend hadn't suggested Tribe and Digible Planets, I don't know where I'd be right now. All I know is I'd have a lot less groove.

Jesus, etc. Wilco - I'd been told that I'd like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It was sitting out when I visited Tim's place and I played it. I did not like it. Garth burned me a copy and I listened past the first song. This song made me except Wilco, then listen to AM, then love Wilco, then Old 97s, then a little Johnny Cash and Willie, then maybe some Hank Williams even. This song started me on a road towards understanding that categorically hating country music meant ignoring some great music

Favorite 5 Right Now: Girl - Beck, Crooked Teeth - Death Cab for Cutie, Be - Common, Waiting for the Sun - Jayhawks, I Turn My Camera On - Spoon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home